Yering Station Yarra Valley in Melbourne wine tour
Yering Station Yarra Valley History
Therefore, Yering Station vineyard is the first vineyard established in Victoria. It took place in 1838. Ryrie brothers were the first owners of Yering Station. They sold the estate in the early 1850s.
Paul de Castella purchased Yarra Station from Ryrie brothers. A real development of Yarra Station vineyards took place in the 1850s.
Secondly, Yering Station cellar door is located inside the historical winery building. That winery was built to accommodate new equipment imported from France after Bordeaux Exhibition in 1859. In 1861 Yering Station won the Argus Gold Cup. It was considered as the best Victorian vineyard.
Finally, De Castella put a lot of effort also into wine making processes. As a result, in 1889 Yering Station wines received a Grand Prix at the Universal Exhibition (Paris). Only 14 such awards were won by overseas winemakers.
In the 20th century, the wine industry in Yarra Valley was declining. Only since the early 1970s, the Yarra Valley vineyards have begun to thrive again.
Yering Station Yarra Valley in Melbourne wine tours today
Yering Station Estate offers you the following attractions:
- Firstly, historical atmosphere. The oldest vineyard in Victoria. Established in 1838.
- Secondly, a fantastically wide range of red and white wines. Free tasting. Groups up to 9 pax.
- 15 styles of wine. Six different labels.
- Outstanding regional wines since 1996. Due to the implementation of progressive winemaking.
- Private group wine tasting for groups more than ten people.
- Educational group wine tasting.
- Finally, the Wine-bar Restaurant. A stunning menu. Wine list directly from the cellar door.
- Historical Cellar Door – 1859 building. Open 10 am to 5 pm Monday – Friday. From 10 am to 6 pm Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
- Wine Store. Produce Store. Full range of regional Yarra Valley products.
- Also, nice combination of historic and modern architecture.
Moreover, Yering Station Yarra Valley is also well known for its Sunday market. Famous local farmers’ market takes place in Yering Station 3rd Sunday every month in the Historic Barn. Open 9 am – 2 pm.
Address: Yering Station, 38, Melba Hwy, Yarra Glen, VIC, 3775
Phone: (61 3) 9730 0100
Fax: (61 3) 9739 0135